Embedded Linux development platforms like the BeagleBone are awesome pieces of hardware for the price. But, in order to save money there is only minimal power supply circuitry on the board. It's up to you to provide stable power through the barrel jack. Be sure your supply has got enough current and a well-regulated output or you'll get erratic behavior!
Now, what if you want your BeagleBone to be portable or mobile? What if you need your Linux platform to be immune to intermittent power or brown-outs? What if you want to be able to schedule when your BeagleBone turns itself on? Want to easily use solar power in your BeagleBone project? These are the issues that the Power Cape was designed to solve.
The cape comes with a pigtail cable for each power connector on the board (1 MicroFit and 1 JST PH) and an MTA connector for the opto-isolator input. It does not come with 2×23 connectors for P8 and P9. Those are available here or here.
- Compatible with both the BeagleBone White and the BeagleBone Black.
- Has cape ROM with address switches.
- Takes DC power input from 3-14VDC.
- Has over-voltage and over-current protection on DC input.
- Uses 1S (3.7V) lithium cell as the back-up battery power supply.
- Power Cape charges the back-up battery whenever 4.5V or greater is available on the DC input.
- Onboard power monitor (INA219) allows monitoring of battery voltage and current by BeagleBone.
- Power Cape can power up the BeagleBone after a configurable timeout, restoration of DC power, or on an external signal.
Use it as a:
- Battery power source: the Power Cape will boost a single-cell lithium battery to the 5VDC required to run the BeagleBone.
- Regulated DC source: the Power Cape will regulate 4.5 to 14VDC on the DC input for the BeagleBone. If a lithium battery is attached to the battery input, then it will charge the battery as well.
- Uninterruptible Power Supply: On DC power loss, the Power Cape will automatically switch to the battery input. On DC power restoration, it will switch back and begin to recharge the battery.
- Solar power supply: the Power Cape will augment the DC power supply from the battery. So, flucuating DC power sources such as solar panels can be utilized effectively.
- Power Cape information page.